this aint no blockbuster.
Okay, i admit it, i’ve never seen a single Harry Potter film. I know *gasp* but when they were being released I was too old and “too cool” for anything with mass popularity. Whatever. After telling my class, who seem to be more of that generation, that I had never seen it I thought I’d give it a go and document it. We’ll see how far I get.
I decided to skip over the first Harry Potter because while I have technically never seen the film, I had to watch a parody of the first one for a grad school film class (i know), so I basically know what happens.
My thoughts on the Chamber of Secrets, in chronological order:
- Harry is so young. They all are. I’m watching children.
- Why am I watching him chase around a tiny house dwarf? this is weird.
- Is that beared guy in the Lord of the Rings?
- Huh, im starting to get some pop cultural references.
- Okay, this isn’t so bad. The visuals are pretty good.
- Huh, this is actually kind of freaky. I don’t like all that whispering.
- AHHHHHHHH SPIDERS!! I HATE SPIDERS!!
- this is terrifying, is this supposed to be for kids? am I a child?
- a phoenix tear? seriously? *eye roll*
- this movie reminds me of a lot of 90’s movies, the ghosts look like they’re out of The Frighteners
- alright, i’ll watch the next one.
Must Watch Movie: Born In Flames
Why: Aside from the completely sweet soundtrack, the film is a pillar in feminist film. Also, look out for a very young Kathryn Bigelow.
Deep Cuts: If you dig this than check out Su Friedrich’s doc called Lesbian Avengers Eat Fire
Must Watch Movie: The World, The Flesh and the Devil
Why: Not only does Harry Belafonte shine but this film, released in 1959, touches upon some very real racial issues that no one dared to touch back then.The cinematography is also a precursor for the Walking Dead, especially in how the empty streets are shot. The ending is also very progressive.
Favourite Movie Quotes: Wet Hot American Summer
Favourite Movie Quotes: Drop Dead Gorgeous
Favourite Movie Quotes: Heathers
Favourite Movie Quotes: Empire Records
it’ll be alright. it’ll be alright.